The Ideas for OGC Effort
Effort grew out of several events in the first half of 2013, during which OGC Members and members of the public voiced various criticism of the organization, of its policies and procedures, of its standards, of its ongoing work and of its plans for the future.
In response, the President of the OGC launched this Ideas4OGC effort in a letter to OGC Members 24 June 2013
sent on 24 June 2013, announcing:
- the formation of a voluntary LeaderShip evaluation and review group
- the opening of this wiki space,
- the plan for a number of online meetings, and
- the process for the effort.
The "Ideas for OGC" effort aims to collect feedback, ideas, critiques, and comments to develop ideas and plan actions to improve the OGC. The initial plan will be made available to membership prior to the September 2013 TC/PC meetings in Frascati, Italy. Implementation of urgent recommendations will commence as soon as late September 2013 based on prioritization. By late 2013, a full plan identifying further actions and recommendations will be finalized, including an analysis of resource requirements.
The process of taking action to improve OGC is guided by the following principles:
- Include OGC members , non-members, OGC staff and members of the Board of Directors
- Maintain openness and transparency
- Prioritize issues for action, with guidance from the voluntary leadership group
- Ensure the process is clear, concise and efficient
- Encourage constructive criticism, while following the OGC Principles of conduct
- Stay flexible, and adjust the process on the fly as required
The graphic below illustrates the framework developed to ensure efficiency.