COWM conference meeting (November 27th 2018, 14.50) Venice

  • Where?: Palazzo Labia, Campo San Geremia, Cannaregio, Venice, Italy (more info here: COWM conference in Venice)

The primary focus of the CoP3 is to work towards improving interoperability among Citizen Science data and services. The main activity of the CoP3 is to conduct Interoperability experiments under the OGC umbrella. CoP3 has already started the first Interoperability experiment to demonstrate the way OGC standards can be applied to Citizen Science, including possible relationships to other relevant standards from the community. The group will work in 4 activities: Vocabularies for organizing Citizen Science projects, Data sharing using OGC standards such as O&M and SOS, Creation or Citizen Science federations with Single Sign On and Assessing and documenting Data quality.

This meeting provides a way to report on the progress done so far by the 4 teams that are working on the four topics and deepen the discussions. In addition, we will test interoperability of the different SOS services and clients that will be prepared in November and we will start working on the documentation that will permit to generate a engineering report as a conclusion of the experiment.

More information about the event and the evolution of the work int he Interoperability experiment can be found here:

Call for practical presentations

To populate an attractive and useful agenda for the meeting, we would like to request your items to present/demostrate Examples are:
  • How to formalize vocabularies. Tools and languages.
  • Practical demonstration on how to set up a MiraMon server for SOS or a 52N SOS complete server
  • Practical interoperability test on current server and client SOS implementations.
  • Steps to implement SSO on client and server.

Agenda items:

  • Introduction to the IE
  • Demos
    • SciStarter Project metadata API. Darlene Cavalier
    • GROW’s SOS (Simon-remote,...)
    • Data quality tool (Joan Masó)
  • Group work
    • Steps to implement SSO on client and server (Andreas+Darlene remotely)
    • Data sharing (chaired by Joan)
    • Vocabularies (chaired by Sven)
  • Recap


  • Sven Schade (JRC) mentions they have developed the EU Single Sign-On (SSO). There is also the LandSense SSO.
  • Darlene Cavalier presents the SciStarter platform demo.
    • It contains projects from all around the world.
    • Projects can be added by the citizens or imported from other platforms. They need a revision process before being published.
    • There is an API to export data?
    • Extended public & private metadata with some controlled vocabulary.
    • It would be easy to implement Cost-ACTION vocabulary or ontology.
    • It uses OAuth2 protocol. The LandSense federation uses OpenIDConnect and OAuth.
  • Andy Cobley presents the GROW SOS 2.0 API which is in validation.
  • Joan Masó presents the RitmeNatura Data Quality module
  • Some Australians have more than 100 quality indicators
  • What happens with moving sensors like people with personal devices?

  • Discussion groups:
  • Table one: Vocabularies
    • Data Quality. What is outthere (OGC-ISO). Data model + vocabulary for statistics of DQ.
    • Allow to talk about uncertainty of observation and models…
    • Vocabularies for sensor procedures: Calibrations…
      • SensorML could be a solution?
      • Maintenance is not in the models checked
      • Person as a sensor. How to document a data quality.
      • Express the level of validation of citsci How?
        • Reputation
        • Validation by others
        • …
      • What level of detail/simplicity we need to allow “fit for purpose”
      • Endorsement of certain procedure: Quality label?
  • Table SOS:
    • Moving sensor.
      • Difference Sensor – Observation
      • SOS comes from a period where sensors were big
      • SensorThings could contain the solution for the small sensors that goes in your pocket
      • Check with 52North and the rest of the group in OGC.
    • Sensors that does not have a GPS.
      • Position fo the download device (Bluetouth  300m)
    • Questions for the ER?.

Next Action Points

    • Specific phone call on SSO with Darlene
    • WO projects to register in SciStarter
    • Rename the Landsense federation

-- JoanMaso - 25 Nov 2018
Topic revision: r13 - 13 Dec 2018, EsterPrat
This site is powered by FoswikiThe information you supply is used for OGC purposes only. We will never pass your contact details to any third party without your prior consent.
If you enter content here you are agreeing to the OGC privacy policy.

Copyright &© by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding OGC Public Wiki? Send feedback